Affording Alzar School
We realize that attending the Alzar School requires a significant financial commitment on the part of your family. It is our goal to make these semesters available to as many deserving students as possible. We have several financial aid options available.
Tuition, Room, and Board Tuition, room, and board for a semester in the 2018-2019 school year is $29,125 (USD). This is for one semester. You will be asked to pay a non-refundable deposit of $3,000 upon acceptance and return of the Initial Registration Form. This deposit is applied to the cost of tuition. Payments will be made in installments, with all account balances paid in full at least 30 days before the start of the semester.
Student expense account Besides tuition, room, and board, there are several other expenses you should be aware of. We ask that you set up a student account with us to cover these expenses, with an initial deposit $750 (USD).
- Transportation to Campus: You are required to provide your own transportation to and from campus in Cascade, Idaho (we can arrange pick-up in Boise or McCall, Idaho). This includes the flight back to Idaho after Fall/Spring Break
- Transportation to Chile: Alzar School will purchase the student's flight from Idaho to Chile and back to the USA at the end of their time in Chile (to a major airport).
- Supplies and Equipment: You will have some books, school supplies, and personal outdoor clothing and equipment that are additional costs. At the end of the semester, we will send an itemized bill and refund of leftover money home. We will provide group camping equipment and some specialized outdoor equipment (such as stoves, tents, rafts, PFDs, helmets, etc). Upon acceptance, you will receive a list of required clothing and equipment.
Tuition, room, and board: $29,125
Student expense account: $750
Deposit: $3,000 (applied to tuition)
How to apply for financial aid:
The Alzar School is dedicated to making our semester programs affordable to as many accepted students as possible. We offer financial aid in hopes to attracting students from a wide range of economic, ethnic, and geographic backgrounds.
Calculating Financial Aid The Alzar School uses the services of TADS (Tuition and Data Services) to process tuition assistance applications. This is the same company that hosts our online application process. TADS provides and online application for financial aid, as well as a worksheet to help you through the process. They also offer live support 12 hours a day. The Financial Aid Application and Worksheet are available by clicking the boxes below:
Alzar School Financial Aid Policies
Financial Aid Policies for different schools vary widely. The following list details the policies that govern financial aid for our semester programs:
- Admission to the Alzar School is based on merit and granted before considering financial need.
- All financial aid awards are based on need as determined by the financial aid committee after reviewing information from the TADS report.
- It is essential that applicants complete and file all application forms and required tax forms on time (by February 15th). Late applications may not receive full consideration.
- All financial aid records are kept confidential. Only the Financial Aid Committee will have access to any financial aid information.
Process and Timeline for Applying for Financial Aid & Scholarships As soon as you complete your application for admission to the Alzar School, you will be asked if you would like to apply for financial aid and scholarships. All financial aid is determined using the TADS application process. Once we have received your entire financial aid application, we will process them and notify you of determinations when we determine your admission status.
Alzar School Tuition Refund Policies Once you have been accepted and enrolled in an Alzar School semester, you will be asked to pay a $3,000 nonrefundable tuition deposit, which is applied as a credit towards the entire tuition amount due. The remainder of the tuition will be due 30 days before the 1st day of your semester. Any further tuition payments made to the Alzar School are nonrefundable, regardless of circumstances. The school has a limited number of spaces and it is extremely difficult to refill your position in the event that you are unable to attend. However, all families are enrolled in a tuition insurance program, which insures a portion of the tuition should you not be able to complete your semester with the Alzar School.
The Alzar School does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, or national and ethnic origin in its administration of its educational policies, admission policies, scholarship programs, and other school administered programs for students, or in its employment practices. The Alzar School is not affiliated with any religious or political organization. The Alzar School is an equal opportunity service provider and operates on special use permits from the Klamath, Boise, and Shasta-Trinity National Forests.