Welcome! We are so excited for you to attend Alzar School.
Welcome to the Alzar School! We are thrilled that you will be joining our ever growing community of young leaders who want to positively impact the world. As your semester approaches, the admissions team will continue to be in touch with you and your family, so continue to have your eyes on your email and MySchoolApp accounts. As always, if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to reach out to the admissions team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Prior to the beginning of the semester every student (along with at least one parent/guardian) should attend a Pre-Semester Orientation webinar session that will go into detail about the semester packing process, day-to-day life at Alzar School, and other major events throughout the semester.
We have two Zoom webinar sessions scheduled:
- Thursday, August 5th at 4:00 pm MT
- Tuesday, August 10th at 4:00 pm MT
Login information can be found at this link: Webinar Login Details. Once you have selected a session that works for your schedule, please register using this Google Form: Webinar Registration. If you are unable to attend any of the sessions, please notify our Director of Semester Programming, Michael Ervin via email (email@example.com).
Your semester away is going to be a true adventure and in order to prepare, it is important that you pack accordingly for your time at Alzar School. As a reminder, THE FALL 2021 RENTAL AND PURCHASE FORM MUST BE RECEIVED BY JULY 15TH TO GUARANTEE AVAILABILITY OF ITEMS.
To see all of the personal items you are required to bring as well as the items not permitted during your semester, click here: Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 Packing List.
For guidance in selecting the technical outdoor gear you will bring to Alzar School, please review our Technical Outdoor Gear Guidance document. The intention of this document is to guide your decision-making process as you develop your own system. This gear can be sourced at thrift stores, department stores, or specialty outdoor shops.
If you have any questions, please contact our Director of Expeditions and Risk Management by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out to the admissions team.
We are so excited to welcome you to our semester. During your 5 months of Alzar School you will accomplish so much and meet so many other terrific young leaders and educators. While we don’t require any prior experience in the outdoors for our semester, we hope that you will (responsibly) get outside and stay active as a way to prepare for your immersive semester.
MySchoolApp Enrollment Forms
We will be releasing a majority of our Fall 2021 enrollment forms for both students and families to complete in May. Throughout the enrollment process, you will access your enrollment information in MySchoolApp. Please be sure that both students and parents/legal guardians are able to log in to each of their individual accounts. If you have any issues accessing your accounts, please contact the admissions team. In the meantime, below is a list of some important documents and enrollment requirements you should be aware of:
- Student Passport: The school’s trip to Chile during the semester is a highlight for the students. As such, we want to make sure there will be no problems encountered when your student travels internationally. All students must have a current passport that does not expire within 6 months of the travel to Chile.
- Student Physical Examination: Students must undergo a medical examination with the Alzar School provided Candidate Physical Exam Form within 3 months of arriving at the Alzar School (between May and July for Fall semester and between October and December for Spring semester). We require families to get this form completed in that narrow time window to ensure that we get accurate, up-to-date information to best support the student while they are with us.
- Student Immunizations: Students must be current on immunizations and relevant vaccinations. If there is a medical contraindication to any of these immunizations/vaccinations, please provide documentation from your family health care provider. All students are asked to upload a photocopy of their complete immunization/vaccination record as part of submitting their Medical Evaluation and Physical Examination Form (Spring 2022 will receive this form in the fall).
- The student must have (and provide a record of receiving):
- Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis (DTaP) – current within 5 years.
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR)
- Hepatitis B
- Varicella (Chickenpox)
- Hepatitis A
- COVID-19 vaccine
- 2021 Influenza Vaccine
- Some health care providers may recommend additional vaccinations because the student will be traveling internationally. Families and physicians often refer to the Center for Disease Control’s traveler recommendations: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/chile.htm. Students must obtain any additional vaccinations for Chile prior to the start of their Alzar School semester as immunizations and vaccines are not available locally and the special regimens for administering those cannot be supported by Alzar School faculty.
- The student must have (and provide a record of receiving):
Fall 2021 Course Requests
To select courses, navigate to the ‘My Day’ tab in the student’s MySchoolApp account, then choose ‘Course Requests’. This page has more information about course offerings and request policies. For Fall 2021 students, Course Requests (and the Academic Form) are due no later than June 18, 2021. If you have questions, please direct them to the Director of Studies at email@example.com.
We hope you’re already following Alzar School on Facebook and Instagram to stay current with the happenings on campus and expedition. To read more stories about our current semester, subscribe to our blog and The Catalyst, our online publication. Now that you’re part of the Alzar School family, this is a great way to keep up to date with school events, projects, and special programs. In particular, take a look at this blog that highlights a day in the life of Alzar School students!
During the Fall semester we welcome families to our Family Weekend Event that takes place October 13th-17th. Families are also welcome to drop off their students to help them move in, however, there are fewer planned family activities on this day as we focus on move in and student orientation sessions.
During the Spring semester families are encouraged to come out to our Idaho campus during our Closing Ceremony to see students life and experience our beautiful campus in Idaho’s springtime. Families are also welcome to join our Family Weekend mid-semester, however, weather conditions may limit the activities the community can engage in.
During your semester at Alzar School, you will spend time on our campuses in Chile and Idaho! Our 370 acre campus in Cascade, Idaho is nestled in the mountains and bordered by the north fork of the Payette River, giving us lots of space to explore without leaving home. Check out our Idaho campus here.
While in Chile, we utilize our own Base Patagonia in the Aysén Region of Chile. We make our home in the Coyhaique area, which provides incredible learning and adventuring opportunities. Student’s days are spent getting to know the towns and the communities in which they reside. The natural beauty of glacial lakes, crystal clear rivers, and dramatic volcanoes provide inspiring classrooms.