Overview and general considerations for
Alzar School Fall 2022 Family Events
Fall 2022 Event Overview
While remaining flexible to the circumstances of the times, we anticipate offering the following events and times in which families can participate in their student’s semester at Alzar School. Please note that all events are optional and that students will be well entertained and taken care of if you are not able to attend the following events. For many of the events, we will also offer virtual options to tune into the activities. A brief description of the events are:
Opening Day – OPTIONAL
- Date: August 20, 2022
- Time: 9am-5pm
- Location: Idaho Campus; Cascade, Idaho
Family Weekend – RECOMMENDED
- Date: October 13th-16th, 2022
- Time: Thursday, 5pm- Sunday, 12pm
- Location: Idaho Campus; Cascade, Idaho
Graduation – OPTIONAL
- Date: December 15, 2022
- Time: TBD
- Location: Base Patagonia, outside of Coyhaique, Chile.
Travel Considerations & Road Closures
In regards to our Idaho Campus, if you are traveling to/from Boise on HWY 55, please closely monitor road construction closures.
While we are so excited to host you on our campus and elsewhere, we are also sensitive to the inherent risk of gathering students and families from across the country.
- Families should be cautioned to send only family members necessary to transport the student to campus, limiting their overall number.
- Please do not travel to campus if you are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 or have been a close contact with someone who has tested positive.
- During travel, we want to again urge all family members to exercise extra caution while passing through airports, on planes, etc. Of course, the first step is to wear well-fitting, properly secured masks throughout your time. Avoiding eating helps ensure the masks stay on. Using the disinfectant wipes often provided by the airlines to wipe down the surfaces at your seat is a smart strategy. Carrying a small bottle of hand sanitizer and using it regularly is important.
WHILE ON CAMPUS — WE ANTICIPATE THESE ON-CAMPUS PRECAUTIONS, BUT PROTOCOLS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.
- Families will be asked to maintain a six-foot social distance from all other community members while on campus and to wear a face mask when indoors.
- Families will not be allowed to enter student housing and should seek to minimize the time they spend on Alzar School’s campus.
The Alzar School campus is situated alongside the North Fork of the Payette River in Cascade, ID. Cascade is a small town with lots of history. The town’s largest industry was the Boise Cascade Sawmill which closed in 2001. The community now serves as a popular tourist destination with an influx of river runners throughout the summer and skiers in the winter! To learn more about the town of Cascade, visit http://www.cascade.id.us/ or http://www.cascadechamber.com/.
If you would like to stay in Cascade and be close to the Alzar School campus (within a 5min drive), here are some local lodging options.
- The Nobu Hotel (formerly the Ashley Inn)- Very recently remodeled and located in downtown Cascade on Main Street, the hotel offers some of the nicest accommodations in town.
- Palooza Basecamp – Newly remodeled, the Palooza Basecamp is located in downtown Casdacde above the local eatery.
- Lake Cascade Inn – Recently remodeled, small boutique hotel toward the north end of town.
- For more options check out TripAdvisor Cascade
A beautiful 28-mile drive north of Cascade, McCall is one of Idaho’s spectacular alpine lake towns. Situated on the southern end of Payette Lake, McCall is home to roughly 3,000 people. For more information on the City of McCall, visit www.mccall.id.us/. If you choose to stay in McCall, here are a few lodging ideas.
- Shore Lodge – Beautiful lodge located in downtown McCall on Payette Lake. Very nice rooms that open to the beachfront with an easy walk to the center of town. Shore Lodge is home to two of the nicer restaurants in McCall.
- Hotel McCall – In the heart of downtown McCall, this hotel is a historic gem. Just steps to the public beach and local restaurants.
- The Hunt Lodge/Holiday Inn Express – Newly remodeled national chain. Easy central location.
- For more options, check out TripAdvisor McCall.
AirBnB & VRBO
Event Details and Registration Forms
ITINERARY FOR FALL 2022 OPENING DAY
If traveling to/from Boise on HWY 55, please closely monitor road construction closures.
Saturday, August 20th, 2022 – OPTIONAL, Family Rafting Trip down the North Fork of the Payette River
- 1/2 Day Rafting Trip Down the Payette River – 8am-1pm
- Join staff and other families for a fun-filled adventure down Payette River to kick off our Fall Semester. We’ll be contracting this trip through Cascade Raft and Kayak. Spaces may be limited. Price = ~$56 per person. Register here.
Saturday, August – OFFICIAL Opening Day
- On-Campus Opening Day – 1pm-4pm (families will be asked to depart campus by 5 pm)
- This time window is set for students and families to arrive on campus and get settled into their yurts. Be sure to walk around campus to see the surrounding area where your student will be spending the next few months. Mingle and meet our staff as well as other families.
ITINERARY FOR FALL 2022 FAMILY WEEKEND
If traveling to/from Boise on HWY 55, please closely monitor road construction.
Wednesday, October 12th, 2022 – OPTIONAL Social Hour
- Social Hour – 4pm-6pm
- Join Alzar staff and leadership for a fun meet and greet with other families at a local venue in Cascade or McCall!
Thursday, October 13th, 2022 – OPTIONAL Off-Campus Hike
- Off-Campus Hike – 10am-12pm
- Get a taste of expedition on an off-campus hike with Alzar staff. This is an easy/moderate, 2-hour hike with views of mountain lakes and fall foliage.
Thursday, October 13th, 2022 – RECOMMENDED On-Campus Events
- On-Campus Events & Dinner – 3:30pm-8pm
- You’re invited to join the whole community for dinner and presentations on the Alzar School Campus.
Friday, October 14th, 2022 – RECOMMENDED Student/Parent/Teacher Conferences
- OPTIONAL – Breakfast at Alzar School – 8am-9am
- Student/Parent/Teacher Conferences – Times vary; 3, 15-minute conferences between 9am-4pm
- Students will work with their mentors and teachers to select 3, 15-minute conferences. We will do our best to consolidate your meeting times.
- Campus and Yurt tours – Times vary; corridinated around conference schedules between 9am-4pm
- Catered Lunnch – 12pm-1pm
- OPTIONAL – Traveling to Chile Q&A with Sean
Friday, October 14th,2022-Sunday, October 16th, 2022
- Students are allowed to check out with their families at the end of the day on Friday to spend the weekend together. We ask that families return their students to campus by Sunday at 12pm.
ITINERARY FOR FALL 2022 GRADUATION
Thursday, December 15th, 2022 – OPTIONAL Graduation Ceremony IN CHILE
- Occasionally we have family members choose to attend our Graduation Ceremony on our Chilean Campus outside of Coyahque, Chile.
- If interested, please contact Sean Bierle (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details and logistics.